Trek West USA +
Eco-Quest Costa Rica
DATES: July 2 - August 5
LENGTH: 35 Days
GRADES: Current 9th-12th
EXPERIENCE: Arizona, Utah, Nevada, California & Costa Rica
COMMUNITY SERVICE: 14 Hours
A grand adventure and tour in the American West. Travel throughout California, Nevada, Utah, and Arizona. Explore the national park marvels of Yosemite, Zion, Bryce, and the Grand Canyon on Trek West USA. Then continue from the USA to Costa Rica. Journey into the jungles on Eco-Quest Costa Rica. This active travel experience features zip-lining above cloud forests, hiking on active volcanoes, and kayaking on the tropical beaches of the Pacific Ocean.
Spend three weeks traveling the American West - including Arizona, Utah, Nevada, and California. See a totally new side of America, including the breathtaking national parks of Zion, Bryce, Yosemite, and the Grand Canyon National Parks. Then head to Costa Rica for two more weeks of travel to the cloud forests and tropical beaches of a country rich in bio-diversity, culture, and innovative sustainability approaches.
PART 1: Trek West USA
Join us for an an authentic adventure in the great American West. Trek West USA is a three-week teen travel experience in California, Nevada, Utah, and Arizona. See a totally new side of America – from San Francisco, Los Angeles and Vegas to the breathtaking national parks of Zion, Bryce, Yosemite, and the Grand Canyon.
This is not your parents’ road trip! Trek West USA is more than a tour. It is a well-balanced combination of must-see touring, active outdoor adventures, meaningful Jewish experiences, and a unique opportunity to forge friendships as part of a close-knit group. No need to fly half-way around the world to experience an awesome summer on Trek West USA.
- The Must-See's and the Hidden Gems. Trek West USA covers all of the must see highlights of the American West – Alcatraz, the Golden Gate Bridge, Hollywood, Malibu Beach, fabulous Las Vegas, and the Hoover Dam. We also make time for more off-the-beaten path experiences like walking through a redwood forest, exploring Silicon Valley, digging for gold in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, kayaking on Lake Tahoe, learning how to surf in Los Angeles, and staying at a dude-ranch in Utah.
- Once-in-a-Lifetime Outdoor Adventures. The American West is about wide open spaces and stunning national park land. Live the great outdoors hiking to the base of Half Dome in Yosemite, rafting down the Salt River in Arizona, descending deep into the Grand Canyon, climbing to Angels Landing in Zion and swimming in the desert waters of Lake Powell. See a side of nature that you have only dreamed about, and challenge yourself along the way.
- Living Jewish Values. As a BBYO Passport experience, Trek West USA is also an opportunity to explore your Jewish identity in a new context. Delve into the meaning of being "eco-kosher", fulfill the Jewish value of Tikun Olam (fixing the planet), and celebrate Shabbat in new and different ways with local Jewish communities.
A Taste of University Life
Interested in what living on a college campus is like? Many of the places we stay at on the road are college campus dorms. Trek West USA opens a window on university life by experiencing schools as diverse as the University of California - Berkeley, the University of Nevada Las Vegas, and the American Jewish University in Los Angeles.
PART 2: Eco-Quest Costa Rica
Join teens from around the world and head for the cloud forests of Costa Rica to explore a country rich in bio-diversity, culture and plenty of adventure.
Eco-Quest Costa Rica is a two-week teen travel experience that combines outdoor touring, a Costa Rican approach to sustainable living, and opportunities for peer-to-peer connections with local teens.
- Looking for adventure? Hike on an active volcano, zip-line over a rainforest, snorkel on a tropical beach, raft down a raging river, swim under a waterfall, relax in thermal hot-springs, and go on a night safari. Costa Rica is a stunningly beautiful country that is lush with colorful plants, rare animals, and endless opportunities for outdoors exploration.
- Living in harmony with nature. Although Costa Rica is a very small country, it contains more biodiversity than America or Europe! On Eco-Quest, we will learn about Costa Rica's unique approach to sustainable living. Spend the weekend on a "Costa Rican-style kibbutz", explore an organic coffee plantation, and eat deliciously fresh food at every stop along the way.
- Building cross-cultural connections. Costa Rica is a very friendly country. So friendly, it is one of the only countries in the world with no army at all. Spend an afternoon getting to know fellow teens from a local high school, celebrate Shabbat with the Jewish community of San Jose, and leave your mark through a series of service projects.
As a BBYO Passport experience, Eco-Quest is also an opportunity to explore your Jewish identity through the lens of life in Costa Rica. Delve into the meaning of being "eco-kosher", fulfill the Jewish value of Tikun Olam (fixing the planet), and celebrate two very memorable Shabbats.